Thursday, October 8, 2009

Overcoming

I just had my first craft show in Bethlehem recently. It was a well attended show, but I was kinda off the beaten path. People already spent their money by the time they got to me, but I did hear alot of appreciative comments on my work, handed out alot of cards, and while my sales weren't much, at least I broke even. It was a good experience, and met alot of nice people. The crafters next to me, the Szy's, made pinecone wreaths; Kathy's husband Frank, has just beat stage 4 cancer and the two of them where an inspiration to talk to.
So, what did I learn? That my work has to be displayed better. People don't see each piece individually when I display them all together, so they are not appreciated individually. Would like to come up with some kind of a display card that would do that. I got good feedback on my glass sculpture display with the lighting I had; used clear tupperware container to set my pieces on(made great tubs for packing and protecting glass!) and put a battery operated LCD light in it to light it from beneath--worked great! Then, I snaked around rope lighting through the pieces--- it really helped to show detail.
It was exhausting though, and made me appreciate people who do this all the time. Investigating home shows may be a better option for the time and effort. So why is this post about overcoming? Well, the week of the show, in addition to just getting items tagged, displays made, and everything packed, we had some serious lack of funds to overcome. Somehow, by God's grace and friend's mercy, we made it through the weekend. The ghost of dead end jobs reared it's ugly head though, whispering in that hateful voice "it's time to get a job, you will never make it!" Discouraging? You bet.
I had a good cry. It helped. I finally have found something I really love to do. I don't mind the pain, the cold, the discomfort, or even the lack of encouragement, as I'm doing something I really love, and time seems to stand still, as another world is created, another precious moment enjoying the creative oneness with my Creator. I realize that many would think what I do is a waste or frivolous. Yet, for me, it's a meditation, and a dialogue with Him. If I don't know what to do next in carving or fusing, He shares the wisdom I need. If I lack inspiration or ideas, He has plenty! I find an ebb and flow, a give and take, in dialoguing with the Master.
And that is what helps me overcome....to know I'm not alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment